Details of the Charity:
42% of children under 5 living in the Westminster Ward Churchill, where we are based, live in poverty. We are a 32 year old registered charity working with families with under 11 year olds. Our aim is to develop each child’s potential through play.
We provide 4230 play places each year at 6 x 2 hour play and toy-loan sessions for 0-5 year olds. In the school holidays, activities are appropriate for 0-11 year olds. Qualified toy Librarians are at each session to motivate and support learning.
Families from a wide range of cultures, backgrounds and religions are able to socialise and feel a sense of belonging. Children learn and develop social interaction, confidence and a willingness to learn, which prepares them for nursery and school. This early intervention improves their long term life-chances.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
2nd and 3rd August 2018 – 9am-5pm
- Soft play and art – SQ1V 3EN
- Help children complete head-dresses re Tate visit and to take home
6th August 2018 – 9am-4pm
- Gardening at The Lodge – Edbury Bridge Est SW1W
- Help children weed, water and plant.
13th and 14th August 2018 – 9am-3pm
- Basement sorting stock with Sheila
20th August 2018 – 9.30am-4pm
- Walking visit to Tate Britain x2
- Morning and afternoon
- Steward the families and enable children to get the most out of the gallery and activity we provide.
- Good communication skills to talk with adults and children
- Able to follow instructions
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR, which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the end of year Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!