Green Gym Uxbridge is an opportunity for people to get involved in their local community, through a variety of outdoor activities including meadow sowing, insect and flora identification and carpentry.
It is not only the community and outdoor green spaces that benefit from Green Gym Uxbridge but yourself included, often with volunteers having improved physical and mental health and well-being.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
The Conservation Volunteers have an opportunity for a Trainee Leader/Volunteer Officer (VO) to work on Uxbridge Green Gym at Hillingdon House Farm, between the River Pinn and Hillingdon Sport and Leisure Centre.
The Green Gym is a unique and exciting initiative to help people become mentally and physically healthier by taking part in nature conservation activities.
As a VO you will be helping volunteers to engage with and improve their environment, and enjoy healthier lifestyles. You will play an integral part in the smooth running of the Uxbridge Green Gym, including:
- Pre-project planning: risk assessments, site surveys, and liaising with health referral partners, local authorities, and clients.
- Practical wildlife and green space management & leadership: Leading and assisting groups of volunteers from a variety of backgrounds on project days to complete conservation tasks such as creating wildlife habitats, sowing or scything meadows and planting hedgerows.
- Administration & marketing: Supporting the day to day running of the project including database management, creating newsletters and promotion.
To gain a real benefit from the placement, be prepared to commit to Wednesdays and, if possible, Thursdays for a minimum of 6 months.
- An enthusiasm for the environment and working with people
- An interest in gaining practical skills, learning about leading groups and organising work days
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- This opportunity is ideal for anyone wishing to gain the experience vital for working in the environmental and/or community sector.
- A full training package is provided including Project Leadership, First Aid, Risk Assessment, and Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups.
- Reasonable travel expenses are covered
- Full support is provided by the Project Officer.
- Within each project there is scope for you to tailor the role to your requirements and you can have a positive influence on the project’s development.
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May.
Interested? Apply now!