Details of Charity:
Mencap is a charity supporting people with a learning disability through:
- Supported living accommodation and support
- Leisure activities
- Family support
- Employment support
Details of Volunteering Opportunity:
We need volunteers for our football session for adults with a learning disability. You’ll be supporting people to take part and enjoy the activity, as well as joining in yourself!
The football group runs every Monday afternoon 13:30-15:30 during our 10-week programme and is a chance for local people with learning disabilities to get out of the house, make friends, have fun and improve wellbeing.
It is a 5 minutes walk from Brunel University.
As a volunteer you will help the people and the coach. We do not use drills and have an open session which is participant led.
We also hope you will encourage conversation and help people to be social and make friends.
We feel this is a really worthwhile and fun volunteering opportunity that will help make a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability.
- Good communication and listening skills
- An interest in football
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Make a difference in your community
- Make a difference for adults with a learning disability
- Develop your confidence
- Develop your communication skills
- Develop your awareness of learning disability
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May!
Interested? Apply now!