Details of the Charity:
Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice provides practical and emotional support to children who are life-limited or life threatened, and their families, living in North London. We work within the boroughs of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.
Noah’s Ark supports families to ensure that they can face the future with hope by providing a variety of essential support services. These services include a Family Link Team who are trained Social Workers, Specialist Carers who provide respite, Play Specialists who provide therapeutic play sessions and also our Family Support Volunteer team.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As part of the support Noah’s Ark offers to families, we give every child we support (including the siblings) a birthday present every year. These gifts are donated by companies or members of the public and are selected according to each child’s likes, interests and abilities by our Volunteer Gift Coordinator.
As our service grows we are finding that we are in need of a team of Delivery Assistants who can collect presents from the Noah’s Ark office and distribute them to families in advance of the child’s birthday.
Noah’s Ark take their responsibility for safeguarding the wellbeing of children seriously and this role is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Application. 2 references are also required.
- Collect birthday presents from the Noah’s Ark Office.
- Contact families to arrange a convenient delivery time.
- Deliver birthday presents in a timely manner to your allocated postcodes.
- Let the Family Activities Team know as soon as presents are delivered.
- Feedback any concerns or issues to the Noah’s Ark team.
Collection (anytime between 9am-5.30pm Monday-Friday) from:
Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice – Main Office
3 Beauchamp Court
Deliveries across North London boroughs (Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey, Islington).
Volunteers will be asked to nominate postcodes/areas they can deliver to.
Times to suit volunteer. We anticipate that this role would require a commitment of at least 5 hours every 2 months, which could either be in one chuck or spread out over the 2 month period, whatever works best for you – this can be a very flexible role.
Interviews and Training:
At Noah’s Ark we value volunteer support, but we are also aware that not all roles are suitable for everyone. The interview and training process is in place to ensure that Noah’s Ark staff get to know more about you, to ensure that you are given the correct training for the role and so that you can find out if this is a role you would like to undertake. The training process is as follows:
- Attend a Volunteer Information Session (all potential volunteers have to attend one of these sessions before they are able to get involved in any capacity)
- Attend an interview with 2 members of staff (If successful at this stage the volunteer would then be invited to join the next Volunteer Photographer Training Programme)
- Attend Delivery Assistant training. Core training evening session (to include introduction to Noah’s Ark children’s Hospice Services, Professional Boundaries, Confidentiality, Health and Safety) – 3 hours. Safeguarding Module – 2 ½ hours
- Friendly and professional.
- Willingness and ability to travel (own car would be useful).
- Maintain sensitivity and discretion at all times
- Be able to work as part of a team and independently
- Maintain a professional approach
- Have good communication skills and be sensitive to the situation and feelings of other people.
- Confidence in contacting families.
- Abide by all Noah’s Ark confidentiality and data protection policies.
- Must have own car and full clean drivers licence.
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Positive interactions with families.
- Gain knowledge of the boroughs which Noah’s Ark works across.
- Develop organisational skills.
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May
Interested? Apply now!