Details of Charity:
Epilepsy Society is the UK’s leading provider of epilepsy services. Through our cutting edge research, awareness campaigns, information resources and expert care, we work for everyone affected by epilepsy in the UK.
Our research is driven by the desire to understand what has caused the epilepsy in each individual person, to be able to identify the best therapy from the outset, and to make this expertise widely available.
The charity has been running for 126 years. We now have 92 residents that live on site in a number of different houses.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for volunteers who can provide our residents with companionship and add a real social aspect to their lives. There are many different ways you could build a friendship with the residents, whether it’s through reading or taking them to their activities on site.
We appreciate that some volunteers are unable to make a regular commitment to volunteering and can only dedicate a limited amount of time, so our volunteering hours are flexible.
- Good communication skills
- An effective listener
- Respectful, have a sensitive manner and non-judgemental approach
- Understanding of confidentiality
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Free training courses
- Insurance cover
- Guidance from a mentor whilst volunteering
- Option to become a free online member of Epilepsy Society
- Your hours will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony at the end of the year.
Interested? Apply now!