Details of Charity:
Fulham Good Neighbours support mainly older people, including those with dementia, with practical tasks at home such as basic DIY, gardening, and decorating. We do what any good neighbour would: collect medication, escort to appointments, accompany shopping and take care of pets to name a few of our free services.
We also run a dedicated befriending scheme, a Digital Inclusion project and a range of social clubs to help beat isolation and loneliness.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To provide digital and IT support for older people who wish to learn or improve their skills in using new technology.
- Explain and demonstrate how to use laptops, tablets, smartphones
- Support beneficiaries to use email, social media, Skype, WhatsApp etc. to connect with friends and loved ones
- Explore online shopping opportunities and how to use various platforms
- Explore how to find medical information and/or book GP appointments online
- Show beneficiaries how to research social activities and local services
- Demonstrate how to use calendars and/or set up helpful reminders
We are looking for someone who could volunteer with us for 3 months or longer, for around 2 hours/week.
You will be reporting to Fulham Good Neighbours main office, but you will conduct one to one support visits at the beneficiaries’ home.
What training will be necessary and available:
No formal training is required. We will provide you with all the required information upon induction and provide you with volunteer guidelines.
- A friendly and cheerful manner
- A non-judgemental approach
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good IT and digital skills
- Patience and tact
- Reliability and sense of responsibility
- Good problem solving skills
- To be able to recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality
- Willingness to work without direct supervision
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers*
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Join an exciting new project in a dynamic organisation
- Impart your time and skills for the benefit of an older person
- The satisfaction of knowing that you play a pivotal role in aiding an older person in bridging the digital gap
- All hours will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invite to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony at the end of the year.
Interested? Apply now!