Details of the Charity:
We are a community interest company running as a not for profit. We lease parts of the Evreham Centre and operate a nursery 0-5’s, holiday club and youth club within the Evreham site. We have 11 staff, 8 based in the nursery, 1 in the office and 1 holiday club only.
The nursery is registered with Ofsted and received a good at the last inspection. We are expanding our remit and starting some clubs during the day to bring isolated parts of the community together. One of these is a bi weekly Coffee and Cards club. We will be advertising the club through the website, community facebook pages, toddler groups, seniors activities, community notice boards and leaflet drops to immediate surroundings.
The club will be structured around games – there a variety of games in the youth centre from darts, table tennis and pool, to PC games and board games. Each week will be themed around learning to play a game.
Details of the volunteering opportunity:
We are hoping to attract a variety of people who are alone during the day and want to get out and about to mix and socialise; from young mums, to unemployed people and seniors.
- With others, help set up before and pack away after sessions
- Greet attendees
- Demonstrate the game of the week utilising the knowledge of others in the groups as needed
- Make teas and coffee as required
- Get involved, talking, chatting, helping attendees mix and get to know one another
- Depending on how the sessions develop there may be a need to signpost to other services, e.g. Citizens advice or other local groups, Dementia Friends
Sessions are based in the Evreham Youth Centre, Swallow Street, Iver, SL0 0HS on the 1st and 3rd of each month in term time, 10:30-1:30.
First session is on the 18th April.
- Friendly and patient
- Communication skills
- Responsible – able to work with young people
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!