Details of the Organisation:
Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) is the leading HIV and sexual health charity in the UK working to reduce the spread of HIV and to promote good sexual health. We campaign for greater understanding of HIV and sexual ill-health, providing services across England, Wales and Scotland.
We offer numerous volunteer opportunities. Help us make a difference to the UK’s response to HIV and sexual health.
Details of Volunteering Opportunity:
To help provide information and support around HIV prevention to individuals, including the importance of HIV testing and safer sex to communities in Redbridge.
Tasks and activities you could be involved with:
- Providing short, factual presentations on HIV and/or the Terrence Higgins Trust
- Running outreach stalls, both as a team, and independently to engage members of the community to take an HIV test
- Visiting barber shops and salons to run outreach sessions
- Raising awareness of HIV and the importance of safer sex and testing
- Facilitating partnerships with community organisations or faith groups
- Promoting the Redbridge HIV Prevention Service and its activities
- Assisting in the delivery of workshops and activities
- Providing one to one information and support about HIV prevention
- Participating in THT’s training accreditation process
- Promoting other local sexual health services.
Desired Commitment: a minimum of 6 months after completing training
Location: London Borough of Redbridge
When required: Dependant upon bookings, but daytime availability often required
- Ability to engage effectively with CSW, Black African and MSM community
- Excellent communication and active listening skills
- Confident and comfortable talking about HIV prevention and sexual health
- Existing knowledge/willingness to learn key principles relating to HIV and sexual health
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Commitment to representing THT in a positive and constructive way
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Full induction training plus regular, varied training provided
- Reimbursement of reasonable transport costs
- Support and supervision
- References given subject to THT policy
- Opportunity to develop and update skills and gain new experiences
- Opportunity to support our biggest HIV prevention contract in London
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record.
- Hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!