Details of the Charity:
We are here to protect over 2,000 miles of waterways in England and Wales. We are custodians of a rich, living history but we look forward to a brighter, better future too.
On top of maintaining 2,000 miles of canals and rivers that are often over 200 years old, we are responsible for an enormous network of bridges, embankments, towpaths, aqueducts, docks and reservoirs alongside everything else that makes up our wonderful waterways. This takes a huge amount of effort behind the scenes. From improving towpaths for cyclists and walkers, encouraging biodiversity by installing bat boxes and insect piles, to maintaining our locks, bridges and aqueducts, we are constantly working to make our canals and rivers the best they can be, but we can’t do it without your support.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Lock keepers have been a fixture on Britain’s canals for hundreds of years and are one of the oldest traditions of the waterways. As ‘the face of the waterway’, modern-day volunteer lock keepers play an integral part in the visitor experience.
As a Volunteer Lock Keeper you will work alongside other volunteers to:
- Welcome and help visitors to the canal
- Help operate the locks
- Help look after the area around your lock e.g. litter picking, painting, gardening
Based at Widewater Lock, Harefield, UB9 6PD
Ideally you will be available to volunteer between April and October and have a day a week to give to the role.
- Ability to interact with and help others
- A friendly manner and the ability to make a good first impression
- A hands on approach and can-do attitude
- Flexibility to work on your own or with others
- Ideally an interest in the waterway and/or the local area
- Previous experience of operating locks is not essential
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Full training will be given as well as ongoing support from experienced volunteers and staff
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!