Details of the Organisation:
We are a local based charity that have been successfully operating for over 20 years in Ealing. We support families in the borough with a child under the age of 5 years by providing emotional, practical and advisory support. This is performed through a team of fully trained volunteers who work closely with families, visiting them each week for 2-3 hours. Support typically lasts for up to 3-4 months and volunteers receive regular supervision from Coordinators. All volunteers have access to on-going training and are invited to attend social events to engage with other volunteers.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To provide regular support, friendship and practical help to families with at least one child under the age of 5 years or are experiencing difficulties or under stress.
To visit families in their own homes on a regular basis to offer one, or a combination of the following:
- Practical help
- A listening ear
- Support for outings or appointments in the local community
- The opportunity to develop a new relationship, new ideas or skills – leading to increased confidence
- Links to appropriate community resources and support systems
2-3 hours per week. Volunteers are required to commit themselves to a minimum of one year visiting upon completion of the Preparation Course.
- Ability to communicate effectively and sensitively
- Good listening skills
- Non-judgemental and empathetic approach to others
- Parenting or child rearing experience (can be work related)
- An awareness and sensitive to different lifestyles, child rearing practices and attitudes
- Flexibility in responding to a variety of family situations and get on with adults and children
- Commitment to Home-Start Ealing’s Equal Opportunities, Confidentiality and Safeguarding Policies
- A good level of spoken English to participate in the Preparation Course and support families
- Willingness to attend and participate fully in the Volunteer Preparation Course, annual Safeguarding Training and to be supervised by a Coordinator on a regular basis
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Access to additional training courses (after 6 months volunteering)
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!