Details of the Organisation:
Whitehall Junior School is a large community, maintained junior primary school with a roll of 406 pupils at present. Our school is diverse and largely serves our local community. At present, we offer a broad, creative curriculum and add to our pupils’ experiences by providing many clubs and ‘learning outside the classroom experiences’.
A fairly large proportion of our school’s population have English as an additional number, with a larger than average number of children having Special Educational Needs and others who are eligible for Free School Meals.
Our school has a fairly transient population due to local housing issues and at times, as a fair number of our parents come from abroad for periods of time to study at Brunel University, and then leave upon completion.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We do not currently offer chess as an after-school or lunchtime club and would like to offer pupils the opportunity to learn the art of playing chess.
We currently offer many other sporting and interest clubs but do not have anyone who could lead chess.
We would initially look at running a Chess Club once a week, around 3:30-4:30pm. Clubs accommodate up to 20 pupils. We are happy to negotiate a day of the week on which the chess club can be run.
- Be able to communicate effectively with children
- Be able to facilitate the development of the children’s social skills through teaching them how to play fairly
- Be able to supervise children in this setting
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered contributes towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!