Details of the Charity:
The Mix is here to help young people take on the embarrassing problems, weird questions, and “please-don’t-make-me-say-it-out-loud thoughts” that they have. From mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drug. The Mix is here to help 25s and under anywhere and anytime; online, over the phone or via social media.
Whether it is by digesting our articles and videos, talking with others going through similar situations on forums and group chats, or seeking support with trained volunteers and counsellors over the phone; The Mix is a multi-channel service dedicated to giving young people the information and support they need to make the best decisions.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
In this role you’ll help support young people by offering empathy, information and support on our online forums around a wide range of issues. If you are enthusiastic about online communities and have 2 hours free a week, this could be the opportunity for you!
- Moderating our online forums; responding to posts, mediating discussion
- Offering empathy, information, support and ongoing signposting to online community members
- Deleting spam and moving posts to relevant areas on the boards
- Managing conflict
- Two hours a week – choose a time that works for you (though evenings and weekends are preferred)
- This is a virtual opportunity and is based wherever you have access to the internet
- No prior experience needed but you’ll need to be at least 18-25
- A strong interest in online communities
- A good grasp of the English language
- Basic computer skills and the ability to access the internet on a regular basis
- To be non-judgemental, diplomatic and have a good sense of humour
- To be enthusiastic about helping young people
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Full training provided
- Throughout training and whilst volunteering you’ll have regular feedback from staff that will enable you to develop in this role
- Regular contact to ensure your own self-care is supported
- Experience of providing direct support to young people across a range of issues
- Reference provided upon request confirming role and length of volunteering
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!