Details of the Charity:
Kith & Kids aim is to empower families who have a son or daughter with a learning disability or autism (many also have a physical or sensory disability) to overcome their social exclusion. Found over 40 years ago by just two sets of parents, we have grown and adapted over the years to the changing needs of families whilst maintaining the quality of our services.
Throughout the year we provide a variety of volunteer-supported projects and services, offering opportunities to learn new skills, make new friends, go out and have fun. The person with a disability being the focus of our activities, we design individual-needs based projects and services that provide him or her with much needed social interaction and a sense of “normal” life that most of us take for granted.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
On this project you will be paired with one of our members with a learning disability, where you will support and encourage them in taking part in a wide range of activities led by professional therapists and workshop leaders.
Our core activities are swimming, arts & craft, sports & games and music. Past additional workshops have also included photography, football and cooking and you’ll plan your own exciting outings around London with a fellow volunteer and your Kith & Kids member.
The project runs from 9:30am – 5:30pm, 3rd – 7th April 2018.
Volunteers must attend at least two training days:
*Session A: Please attend both sessions
Tuesday 13th March from 6.30pm – 10pm
Sunday 18th March from 11am – 5.30pm
*Session B: Please attend our Meet & Greet. A great chance to meet the volunteers and some of the members you will be working with.
Sunday 18th March: 9.30am – 1.30pm
Training takes place at Ermine Road Day Centre, N15 6DB
- No specific skills or experience is necessary
- Willingness to learn
- Lots of enthusiasm and energy
- You cannot take part until we have met you and you have taken part in some of our training sessions too.
Additional benefits to the volunteer:
- Free training
- Opportunities to develop skills
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Free cooked lunch provided each day
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!