Details of the Charity:
Africa Health Organisation (AHO) is an international health agency providing health and social care in Africa and the Diaspora such as the UK. Its main activities are disease prevention, treatment and medical research and development.
AHO has developed charity fundraising lottery to expand its income base and is looking for dedicated people in Hillingdon to distribute and drop-off charity lottery leaflets and promote the lottery in London Borough of Hillingdon.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
- To research and analyse information relevant to wider health and social indicators
- Analyse and review all available information and recommend options for implementation of policies
- To research and collect data and information on health and social indicators such as:
- Morbidity indicators e.g. AIDS incidence rate
- Socioeconomic indicators e.g. population % with water and sanitation
- Demographic indicators e.g. life expectancy at birth (years)
- Mortality indicators e.g. infant mortality rate
- Resources indicators e.g. doctors per 1,000 pop
- Access indicators e.g. contraceptive use (%) (men; women, all methods)
- Coverage indicators e.g. immunisation coverage (%) under 1 years of age
- Risk factors – e.g. tobacco use, alcohol and drug misuse, overweight/obesity prevalence
- Construct tables, graphs and maps using the data and information gathered from research
- Studying social science degree such as economics, statistics, international development etc.
- Experience of undertaking social research as part of a degree course
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Experience of analysing complex information and datasets
- Experience of writing reports at school or authoring/contributing to publications
- Good broad knowledge of the wider health and social indicators and determinants of health
- Familiarity with basic statistical analysis and epidemiology
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Free accredited training and certificate
- Hours volunteered will bee recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, and will lead to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Award Dinner
Interested? Apply now!