Details of the Organisation:
South West London Law Centres provides specialist legal advice and representation to people who could not otherwise afford access to justice. Our solicitors focus on social welfare law issues such as community care, discrimination, employment, housing, immigration and asylum, debt and welfare benefits to people living across South West London.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Administrative and reception volunteers assist our staff in providing a friendly and efficient service to clients, callers and visitors.
- Provide initial point of contact with the public and clients (on the phone and in person)
- Manage incoming calls and take phone messages (including voicemail)
- Complete internal referral forms, including performing eligibility checks
- Signpost members of the public to alternative suitable advice agencies where necessary
- Casework administration such as: photocopying, filing, faxing, making phones calls, archiving, typing letters, dealing with DX and post
- Any other tasks which may be deemed to be necessary
Time commitment: 1 full day per week (10am-5pm), for a minimum of 3 months.
Location: Kingston, Croydon & Merton Law Centre
- Highly motivated
- Shows an understanding of the service a law centre provides
- Customer service skills
- Polite telephone manner
- IT literate
- Team work skills
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain experience in a law centre environment
- Improve client contact skills
- Improve telephone manner and administrative skills
- Contribute to the local community
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Lunch expenses reimbursed, up to £3
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!