Details of the Organisation:
South West London Law Centres provides specialist legal advice and representation to people who could not otherwise afford access to justice. Our solicitors focus on social welfare law issues such as community care, discrimination, employment, housing, immigration and asylum, debt and welfare benefits to people living across South West London.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Caseworker Assistant Volunteers provide support to either one or several caseworkers.
- Undertake casework administration: photocopying, filing, faxing, making phone calls, filling in forms, typing letters, audiotyping, dealing with DX and post, closing files and archiving, billing
- Signpost members of the public to alternative suitable advice agencies where necessary
- Undertake casework assistance to the Housing solicitors: arranging and attending client interviews/meetings, contributing to aspects of client interviews/meetings, filling in forms, making phone calls, drafting letters, drafting correspondence, drafting representations and submission, attending hearings, out-door clerking
- Deliver casework documents to chambers or court
Time commitment: 1 full day per week (10am-5pm), for a minimum of 3 months.
Location: Kingston, Croydon & Merton Law Centre
- Highly motivated
- Suitable for people who wish to pursue a career in the legal sector
- Some legal knowledge is essential, previous legal work experience is desirable
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain experience in a law centre environment
- Contribute to the local community
- Develop skills useful to potential employers in the legal sector
- Gain an understanding of Housing law in an intimate office environment
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Lunch expenses reimbursed, up to £3
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!