Details of the Organisation:
South West London Law Centres provides specialist legal advice and representation to people who could not otherwise afford access to justice. Our solicitors focus on social welfare law issues such as community care, discrimination, employment, housing, immigration and asylum, debt and welfare benefits to people living across South West London.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Volunteer debt advisors will provide initial advice on debt and money issues to people who cannot afford to pay for advice services.
- Assist debt advisors with initial enquiries to the debt team
- Assist debt advisors with follow up debt advice
- Assist the Thames Project Caseworker with applications to the Thames Water and other utility services
- Assist with data compilation, general admin duties and any other tasks as designated by the debt team leader
Time commitment: 1 full day per week (10am-5pm), for a minimum of 3 months.
Location: Kingston, Croydon & Merton Law Centre
- Able to engage well with people from a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds
- Good problem solving skills
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- An understanding of Law is desirable but not essential as full training will be given
- You must be available to volunteer regularly at our clinic
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain experience in a law centre environment
- Improve client contact skills
- Extensive training in debt management and money issues
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Lunch expenses reimbursed, up to £3
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!