Details of the Charity:
Healthwatch Hillingdon represents the views of everyone who uses health and social care services in the London Borough of Hillingdon. We make sure that these views are gathered, analysed and acted upon, making services better now and in the future.
We exist to make health and social care services work for the people who use them, and we monitor local services to ensure they reflect the needs of the community, and where necessary, use statutory powers to hold those services to account.
Everything we say and do is informed by our connections to local people. Our sole focus is on understanding the needs, experiences and concerns of people of all ages who use services and to speak out on their behalf.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We want to make sure that children and young people get their chance to have a say so, based on feedback from young people, we are creating Young Healthwatch Hillingdon (YHwH).
As a YHwH Health Champion you will:
- Carry out work as planned by the YHwH Panel, which could include helping to plan and attending events to:
- gather the views and experiences of local young people about health issues and services through surveys, focus groups and other engagement activities
- share and promote information about health issues and services with young people
- raise awareness of the role of YHwH
- Be a contact point in your school/university for other young people to go to if they have questions of concerns about health
- Report young people’s feedback about health services to the YHwH Panel
- Act in a way that positively represents YHwH
- You are ages between 11-25 and live, work or study in the London Borough of Hillingdon
- You are happy to volunteer some of your time to be a part of the YHwH Health Champion
- You are interested in the health issues that are important to young people & want to improve health services for the benefit of all young people in Hillingdon.
- You are a good communicator who can talk to a wide range of people
- You are a good listener who can listen to and record a wide range of views and represent the views of others
- You are open minded and believe in equality and diversity. This means you accept people’s differences, treat everyone equally and believe that everyone has the right to have their say
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Free training
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!