Details of the Organisation:
The London Chinatown Chinese Association (LCCA) has been the main 0rganiser of the Chinese New Year celebrations in London since the late 70’s.
Established in 1978, the LCCA promotes and shares Chinese culture with local and international communities. A prominent aspect of this is by helping the key organiser of the annual celebration of Chinese festivals, such as Moon Festival and Chinese New Year. Iconic symbols of Chinese culture, the Chinatown-based association transforms the area to bring festivities to the Chinese community and other residents of the UK each year.
LCCA acts as a forum, steadfast to its original purpose, serving the interests of businesses and the community in the London Chinatown area, as well as bringing business opportunities between the UK and China by hosting overseas trade visits, official discussions and conferences. Some of the key partners that the LCCA works hand in hand with include the Mayor of London and the City of Westminster.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Interested in design, flat media and magazines? Think the average person’s Instagram edits are so passé? Have skills in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign or Photoshop, and that artistic eye you want to show off in a real project publication for the largest Chinese New Year celebration outside of Asia? Then you’re in luck!
The LCCA is looking for committed, enthusiastic volunteers to join us in a variety of roles in the months leading up to 18 February 2018’s Chinese New Year festivities.
Gain real world project experience, as well as develop skillsets both within and outside of your degree. Work (both out of Chinatown and remotely) with professionals, media, and volunteers just like you to give London the celebration of the year.
Design Volunteer (Flat Media):
- Design, layout and contribution to the magazine annually produced before the Chinese New Year celebrations comprising articles, features and advertisements
- Inclusive of photo editing, page layout design and even writing
- Hours and time commitment flexible and dependent on individual
- All volunteers will be screened for availability
- All necessary training (less software knowledge) will be provided
Location (office): 5 Newport Place, Chinatown, London, WC1
- Enthusiasm and experience with flat media
- An artistic eye
- Useful software knowledge includes, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- English and Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin) skills are useful but not necessary
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Meals provided when working around suitable hours in Chinatown
- Opportunity for real-world project experience
- Access to workshops (e.g. large scale event presentation/emcee workshops, sessions by radio broadcasters etc) and other activities run by and for the Chinese community
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!