Details of the Charity:
Hillingdon Mind offers a range of activities and support for people who experience mental health issues.
The objectives of Hillingdon Mind are:
- To increase people’s confidence and skills
- To help overcome social isolation
- To explore the enjoyment and development value through a variety of social activities
We are working to make sure nobody has to face a mental health problem alone. People need our support more than ever, and demand for our services is growing.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
- To provide a warm welcome and friendly service
- To be an active team member and support the running of activities and where required take charge and organise activities
- To treat all service users, and their families, with respect, dignity and courtesy.
- Assisting in the set up and set down of the clubs according to procedure as required (including preparation of food, setting up and tidying up of activities and kitchen)
- Meet and greet service users on arrival
- Assist with maintaining records on attendance monitoring forms
- To interact with the service users and encourage them to participate in the activities on offer if they so wish
- To show clear empathy and understanding for clients presenting psychological distress
- To conduct all dealings with service users in a public area in full view of others.
- Social Groups are run weekly:
- Mead House (Hayes): Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10AM-2PM
- Aston House (Uxbridge): Monday and Tuesday 4:30PM-7PM, Friday 2PM-5PM
- Pembroke Centre (Ruislip Manor): Friday 6PM-9PM, Sunday 11A-2PM
- However, to set up and clear up, additional time would be needed before and after e.g. half and hour before and after
- A commitment to at least one group or more for at least one session for a three-month period
- Clear communication with service users and Hillingdon Mind staff
- Show consistently high standards of professional behaviour and appearance, acting as a positive role model
- Be able to reach the venue via public transport or own transport
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Relevant training provided
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!