Details of the Charity:
Harlington Hospice is a community Hospice serving the residents of the Borough of Hillingdon. We provide care for people whose illnesses are no longer curable, enabling them to achieve the best possible quality of life during the final stages of their illness.
We care for patients and their families in the own homes and provide outpatient services via the Reg Hopkins Centre at Lansdowne House. Harlington Hospice also provides a lymphoedema service and a bereavement counselling service for adults and children. We work as part of the Hillingdon Care Partnership in providing therapeutic care for carers in an outreach setting.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To assist in the day to day running of a Harlington Hospice charity shop, maximise sales and increase income.
- To welcome customers, assist with queries in a friendly, respectful and sensitive manner
- To accept and give appreciation for donated goods
- To present and maintain items for sale in an attractive way, to include cleaning, steaming, sorting, sizing and labelling of goods as appropriate
- To assist in ensuring stock is attractively displays
- To use the till and other point of sale equipment if required
- To follow Harlington Hospice policy on pricing, exchanges, refunds and trading standards
- To be vigilant regarding personal and shop security
- To work within health and safety guidelines, keeping the shop and backroom areas clean, tidy and hazard free, using the equipment provided
- To assist the shop manager with other duties as requested
- Our shop opens from 9AM-7PM (Monday to Saturday)
- Commitment of at least one 4 hour shift per week i.e. morning shift (9AM-1PM) or afternoon shift (1PM-5PM)
- Ruislip Manor
- West Drayton
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Appropriate level of physical fitness as the role requires lifting and moving of stock (not furniture), some of which may be heavy
- Enthusiasm to learn
- Willingness to take direction and make a positive contribution to the overall running of the shop
- Reliability and confidentiality in keeping with the values of the Harlington Hospice
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Full in-house induction training will be given
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!