Details of the Charity:
Harlington Hospice is a community Hospice serving the residents of the Borough of Hillingdon. We provide care for people whose illnesses are no longer curable, enabling them to achieve the best possible quality of life during the final stages of their illness.
We care for patients and their families in the own homes and provide outpatient services via the Reg Hopkins Centre at Lansdowne House. Harlington Hospice also provides a lymphoedema service and a bereavement counselling service for adults and children. We work as part of the Hillingdon Care Partnership in providing therapeutic care for carers in an outreach setting.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To volunteer as part of the Complementary Therapy team in delivering high quality, holistic care to the patients of Harlington Hospice and their carers, across all areas of care provision.
- Provide complementary therapies to patients and carers across all areas of provision in both individual and group scenarios
- Be aware of contraindications or precautions in relation to the patient’s condition and adapt the treatment accordingly
- Work effectively as part of the team and attend regular peer support complementary therapy team meetings
- Be responsive to the needs of service users by identifying needs
- Keep up-to-date with developments in palliative care and complementary therapy and share learning and ideas with other members of the team
- Keep concise and accurate records of all interventions in line with Harlington Hospice record keeping procedures
- Act in accordance with the Complementary Therapy Policy and all procedures and protocols relating to complementary therapy
Time commitment: ideally 4 hours per week of volunteering as a minimum
- Attention to detail
- Team work
- Willing to learn
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Basic hands, shoulder and head massage training available which is on the job training
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!