Details of the Charity:
Hounslow Action for Youth Association is a charity, set up in 1986, to provide children and young adults in the London Borough of Hounslow with activities to divert them from crime and to give them essential life skills.
In collaboration with other organisations and agencies, we develop and run programmes for vulnerable young people, especially those at risk of social exclusion, being taken into residential care or custody.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for Volunteers to provide one-to-one support to young people aged 8-13, helping them to participate in a wide range of environmental, community, developmental and social enterprise activities which take place both at the Hanworth Centre and our Allotment.
Main tasks and responsibilities include:
- Provide one-to-one and group support to young people as they participate in beekeeping activities, where they will harvest honey and beeswax and create multi-purpose product from the beeswax.
- Support the young people in developing their beeswax product as the starting point for a social enterprise. The honey and beeswax products will be packaged and gifted to older people who attend a weekly Age Concern drop-in
- Help the young people to organise an annual community fair for older people and the community.
Time commitment: depends on your availability, either Tuesdays late morning/early afternoons or over weekends
- Good communication skills and the ability to empathise with young people
- Team working
- Business and marketing skills are desired but not essential
- Understanding of, and sympathy with, the overall aims of the Charity
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Induction training and ongoing training programme is provided
- Free access to external training with our local CVS and other partner agencies
- Monthly team meetings with opportunities to share information, learn and socialise
- Travel and lunch expenses paid
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!