Details of the Charity:
U-Can Ask Angels (UCAA) objectives are the relief of the needs of children with disabilities, and their families and carers through the provision of services, support and assistance including the support of children with speech impairments and communication difficulties.
UCAA provides opportunities for respite and sibling support through the provision of a Saturday Club. The club provides an opportunity for children with additional needs to socialise with others of their own age and to experience the “youth club” atmosphere that youngsters without additional needs take for granted.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Location: Hillingdon Park Baptist Church, 25 Hercies Road, Hillingdon, UB10 9LS.
Time commitment: 10AM – 1PM on Saturdays during term time only
- Work with the Saturday Club Leader, paid staff and other volunteers to help to devise and plan an imaginative programme of activities for the range of communication difficulties presented by the children
- Involve the children in creative and stimulating play though the provision of arts, crafts, games, music and cookery etc.
- Interact and participate in activities with the children
- To provide a safe and fun environment to encourage the development of social and interaction skills.
- Communicate effectively with the children and provide feedback to their parents/carers
- Assist in maintaining records of children’s incidents, accidents and child protection issues
- To keep confidential any information regarding the children, their families or staff which is learned as part of the job
- Ensure that the U-Can Ask Angel’s Child Protection Policy, Health & Safety Policy, and other relevant legislation are adhered to
- An interest in supporting children with additional needs
- An ability to relate to children with additional needs
- An ability to communicate with children who have communication difficulties
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed (U2 bus stops outside the venue)
- Opportunity to attend Safeguard training if it occurs during the volunteering period
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which is your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!