Details of the Charity:
Kith & Kids aim is to empower families who have a son or daughter with a learning disability or autism (many also have a physical or sensory disability) to overcome their social exclusion. Found over 40 years ago by just two sets of parents, we have grown and adapted over the years to the changing needs of families whilst maintaining the quality of our services.
Throughout the year we provide a variety of volunteer-supported projects and services, offering opportunities to learn new skills, make new friends, go out and have fun. The person with a disability being the focus of our activities, we design individual-needs based projects and services that provide him or her with much needed social interaction and a sense of “normal” life that most of us take for granted.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for new volunteers to join in our Employment & Life Skills Project (ELSP) and help adults with learning disabilities and/or autism to access further education, work experience and visits to mainstream community opportunities.
ELSP takes place on a Monday and a Friday from 10am to 3pm, term-time. The minimum ages to volunteer with the ELSP group(s) is 20 years old.
- Act as a mentor to the group members on a 1 – 1 basis
- Help members develop a range of life skills in areas that many of us take for granted including English and Maths skills, independent living, the use of public transport, social skills and employability skills
Volunteers must attend at least two training days:
*Session 1: Please choose one
Sunday 11th February – 9:30am – 1:30pm
Saturday 17th February – 9:30am – 1:30pm
Tuesday 20th February – 6:30pm – 10pm
Wednesday 28th February – 6:30pm – 10pm
Sunday 4th March – 9:30am – 1:30pm
*Session 2: Our co-ordinators will arrange a second session with you
Training takes place at Ermine Road Day Centre, N15 6DB
- No specific skills or experience is necessary
- Willingness to learn
- Lots of enthusiasm and energy
- You cannot take part until we have met you and you have taken part in some of our training sessions too.
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers.
Additional benefits to the volunteer:
- Free training
- Opportunities to develop skills
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!