Details of the Charity:
Afghanistan and Central Asian Association was established in 2001 to help refugees and migrants integrate into British society. The central aim of the Afghanistan and Central Asian Association is to bring communities together. Refugees and migrants experience multiple disadvantages ranging from language barriers to being victims of domestic violence and suffering from mental health issues.
We provide a variety of services to people all ages. We offer a Supplementary School and afterschool homework club to children to ensure they do not fall behind peers; ESOL classes and a safe place for women in the form of a Women’s Tea Corner where they are able to share their problems and meet women of similar backgrounds; and free drop-in advice sessions and a weekly legal clinic.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
The volunteering opportunity is based in the Hounslow office at 169 Staines Road, Hounslow, TW3 3LL.
The volunteer would be teaching GCSE level Maths to our students in preparation for their November exam.
The sessions would run between 5pm and 7pm any day.
- Maths skills to A-level standard
- Able to work with children
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain skills in teaching and experience in the charity sector
- A possible opportunity to take up a more permanent voluntary teaching postion
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!