Details of the Charity:
The Royal Society for Blind Children (RSBC) believe in a better life for blind children. No child in the UK should grow up to be poor or lonely just because they are blind. The RSBC are on a mission to make sure every single blind child has the self-belief and skills to fulfil their potential.
The RSBC work with wonderful donors and volunteers to deliver the five things they believe will transform the life chances of every blind child in England and Wales:
- Helping parents first
- Bet in class, inclusive education
- Building friendships, independence and resilience
- Getting young people job ready
- Harnessing technology
By 2020, the RSBC want to have reached 11,000 children and young people – and with 178 years of experience and the support of donors, they know they will get there.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
RSBC is hosting their annual flagship event, the Blindfold Run, on Sunday 5th November 2017, in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Hundreds of supporters will be running in pairs – one blindfolded, and the other guiding. Our inspiring runners have been raising money for RSBC so that we can help even more blind and partially sighted children and young people.
It is an event like no other, but one that would not be possible without a team of dedicated, wonderful volunteers – and that’s why we need you!
Volunteer roles will include:
- Supporting the registration desk and refreshments
- Distributing goody bags
- Cheerleading the runners
The run will begin at 11am, and we expect most runners to be finished by 1pm. All our volunteers will need to arrive by 9am for the volunteer briefing, where you will receive detailed instructions on both the event itself and your role. Your day will end at 2pm.
- Good communication and social skills
- Are available from 9am to 2pm on Sunday 5th November 2017
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Getting involved with a unique sporting event and enjoy an amazing atmosphere.
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!