Details of the Charity:
Kith & Kids aim is to empower families who have a son or daughter with a learning disability or autism (many also have a physical or sensory disability) to overcome their social exclusion. Found over 40 years ago by just two sets of parents, we have grown and adapted over the years to the changing needs of families whilst maintaining the quality of our services.
Throughout the year we provide a variety of volunteer-supported projects and services, offering opportunities to learn new skills, make new friends, go out and have fun. The person with a disability being the focus of our activities, we design individual-needs based projects and services that provide him or her with much needed social interaction and a sense of “normal” life that most of us take for granted.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To aid the social development of our members of the club, all of which have a learning disability and/or autism. Our members attend the club to build confidence, create new relationships, have lots of fun and be free to express themselves.
- Be supporting members to take part in fun, creative and sometimes challenging workshops such as sports & games, arts & crafts, music therapy, drama and more.
- Have the opportunity to go on outings each term – recently we have attended crazy gold, karaoke, bowling, swimming and museums.
Volunteers must attend at least two training days:
*Saturday 23rd September – 10am-12:30pm
*Sunday 8th October – 10am-12.30pm
*Saturday 21st October – 10am-12.30pm
Training includes Autism Awareness, Communication, Breaking Down Skills, Creativity & Participation, Epilepsy and much more!
Training takes place at Ermine Road Day Centre, N15 6DB
- No specific skills or experience is necessary
- Willingness to learn
- Lots of enthusiasm and energy
- You cannot take part until we have met you and you have taken part in some of our training sessions too.
Additional benefits to the volunteer:
- Free training
- Opportunities to develop skills
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply now!