Details of the Charity:
Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice provides practical and emotional support to children who are life-limited or life threatened, and their families, living in North London. We work within the boroughs of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Under the guidance of our Play Worker or Therapies Team, Play/Therapies Support Volunteers deliver structured and guided play activities to Children with Life-limited or Life-threatened conditions or their siblings. Volunteers act as a step-down service from the Play/Therapies service and aim to continue the positive work the team have achieved with the children and young people. Through Music, Drama and Play, volunteers will provide children and young people with a safe space to continue developing social, communication or play skills.
All Play/Therapies plans are created to meet the individual needs of the child or young person and are created with a holistic approach to enable positive outcomes. All Play/Therapies volunteers receive ongoing support and guidance from their assigned Play/Therapies team member.
Noah’s Ark take their responsibility for safeguarding the wellbeing of children seriously. This role is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Application. 2 references are also required.
Opportunities of the role:
- Gain rewarding experience of working directly with children, young people and their families
- Build knowledge of following a play/therapies plan and delivering structured and guided activities
- Develop communication sensitivity skills with children and young people in challenging circumstances
The needs of individual will differ, but each Play/Therapies Support Volunteering role will be agreed in advance between the family, Noah’s Ark and the volunteer.
Experience of working with children, young people or families is desirable but not essential. We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds with all sorts of skills.
PLEASE NOTE: Volunteers will not have sole responsibility for a child with a life limiting or life-threatening condition and will not be expected to undertake any personal care or administer medication.
Volunteers commit to visiting a family once a week/ fortnight for approx. 1-2 hours, however the frequency and times will vary dependent on an individual’s needs and a volunteer’s availability. Play/Therapies Support Volunteer roles are available 7 days per week, between 8am-8pm.
Home Support Volunteers are required to complete and return written Support Records following a visit and to attend Supervision (support groups) every 3 months.
It is hoped that volunteers can commit to supporting a child or young person for a minimum of 12 months.
Noah’s Ark supports families living in Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey, Islington & Hertsmere. Volunteers will be matched geographically as much as is possible.
Examples of activities include:
- Sensory play
- Developmental play
- Stories & writing
- Arts and Crafts
- Ability to work well with others
- A good understanding of the role and of Noah’s Ark’s expectations of volunteers
- Good communication skills
- Reliability, commitment and engagement
- Initiative and problem-solving skills
- A good level of self-awareness
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Training provided
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Interested? Apply now!