Details of the Charity:
We work towards a future of sustainable communities which are vibrant, healthy and safe, which respect the local and global environment and where individuals and enterprise can prosper.
We have a proven track record in environmental and social regeneration providing high quality sustainable projects across the South of England.
We know that real change requires action on many different fronts. That’s why we work hand-in-hand with communities to:
- Create and improve green spaces for community benefit and to reconnect people with nature
- Provide training and support to help those furthest from the job market back into work especially young people
- Promote greener living and working to help families and individuals save money and reduce waste
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Tasks vary depending on the reserve and the time of the year. In the winter, planting and coppicing trees is the main priority. In the spring, we normally sow wildflower seeds, and in the summer and autumn, we repair any non-urgent infrastructure, e.g. fences and handrails.
Sessions run one weekend a month. On the Saturday morning, we visit Allen’s Field in South Ascot from 9.30 – 12.30, and then from 13.00 – 16.00, we’re at Arthur Jacobs Nature Reserve near Slough. From 9.30 – 12.30 on the Sunday, we’re at Hardings Row in Iver Heath, and we rotate between four woodland sites in Denham every month for the Sunday afternoon session.
Volunteers are welcome to come to as many, or as few, sessions as they would like. We provide refreshments and snacks, but we ask that volunteers bring their own water and lunch. We provide tools and gloves, but volunteers should dress appropriately for the weather, and must wear thick, sturdy shoes.
- No skills are required. We just ask that people are enthusiastic!
- Volunteers will gain experience in managing nature reserves, and will learn new skills, such as species identification and basic construction
- Refreshments and snacks provided
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Interested? Apply now!