Details of the Charity:
Thames21 is the voice for London’s waterways, working with communities to improve rivers and canals for people and wildlife.
We mobilise over thousands of volunteers every year to clean and green the capital’s 400 mile network of waterways.
Thames21 aims to transform neglected waterways into areas that everyone can use and enjoy with innovative and tailored community approaches.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
As a result of misconnected plumbing, pollution can find its way into urban rivers via surface water outfalls (drains). The Zoological Society of London and Thames21 are recruiting volunteers to help conduct the Pinn’s first Outfall Safari.
This involves surveying stretches of the river and, with the help of a mobile app, mapping and recording the impact of outfalls.
This survey will greatly improve our understanding of the river and help to target sources of pollution.
If you choose, you may survey the Brunel part of the river.
- Ability to use mobile phone app
- Free training
- Opportunity to be part of a local environmental improvement project
- Transferable skill for your CV
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards the Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Interested? Apply now!