Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We would like to recruit students to be Language Buddies and to voluntarily teach other students to speak their native language, on campus e.g. Costa or Social Kitchen. Applicants should have a very high level of competence in the language in question – native speaker or approximately C1 level. The applicants will teach their native language primarily with students who are enrolled on a modern foreign language course, and the applicants will assist the class tutor in practicing the language syllabus outside of the classroom.
The frequency of practice would be a minimum of once a week for 30 minutes, for 1 term. Further practice between the students is their choice, along with setting a fixed date or time.
Tasks could include:
- Helping the tutor in the classroom to deliver aspects of the lesson outside of the classroom;
- Working 1 to 1 to develop competence in a student’s speaking and listening skills;
Providing small conversation sessions outside the classroom alongside Brunel’s Modern Languages syllabus;
- Students must be either a native speaker of the language they wish to teach or they should have reached a high level of competence (at least C1 according to the European Framework
Language Buddies are required for the following languages:
- Mandarin Chinese
- or more depending on the demand
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Valuable work experience as a Language Buddy, effectively a Teaching Assistant
- Inclusion of this as a part of the Brunel+ Award
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Applications will open in September 2017.
If you would like to find out more, please contact Richard Bale – Richard.Bale@brunel.ac.uk