Details of the Charity:
Hillingdon Carers is an independent charity that delivers a wide range of local support services to meet the needs of unpaid carers in the London Borough of Hillingdon.
Our services include:
- Information, advice and support for carers of all ages (includes drop in Advice Centre for Carers in Uxbridge, websites, written information, provision of Support Workers, benefit checks, advocacy, home visiting service, availability at venues across the borough etc. etc.)
- Health and Wellbeing Services for adult carers (includes GP outreach service, advocacy with health services, development work with health services, drop in cafes for carers, relaxation sessions, arts courses, training for carers, step up support to access other leisure services etc. etc.)
- Young Carers Services (includes one to one support, specialist support for children and young people affected by substance misuse of an adult, Saturday Clubs for fun activities with other young carers and learning opportunities, school holiday activities, residential breaks, advocacy with education and training providers.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
The volunteer would be based in the Advice Centre, we ask for three hours per day (how many days will be decided between volunteer and office).
- Have an understanding and interest in the needs of carers
- To assist with the running of advice centre
- To greet clients or professionals where necessary
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Confident with telephone calls and recording messages for other staff
- Knowledge of the borough and other organisations etc
- Work proficiently on database
- Assist with general office duties
- Stock up on information resources and make sure reception is tidy
- Preparing various information/application packs when required
- Willingness to attend training, support or supervision meetings when required
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Free training provided
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Interested? Apply here: