Details of the Charity:
Bereavement Care is a small charity which provides bereavement support throughout the London Boroughs of Harrow and Hillingdon. Its aim is to relieve the suffering and distress caused by bereavement for all adults and children in the local community. It offers a free and confidential service of care and support to people of all ages, creeds and cultures within Harrow and Hillingdon. This support is provided by trained volunteer visitors in the following ways:
- one to one visiting at a mutually convenient venue (usually the bereaved person’s home, or in the case of children, at their school or college)
- in group support meetings at local drop-in centres.
They are supported in their work within small groups and all have access to a Consultant Supervisor. Bereavement Care also provides training for its visitors through initial and subsequent training in listening skills and associated issues. This includes an Annual Conference (at which Dr Ruth Caleb has often been a guest speaker).
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To hold a charity collecting tin or bucket at the entrance to Sainsbury’s, Uxbridge on Saturday 1st October and/or Sunday 2nd October 2016 and smile graciously at passing shoppers to encourage them to donate to the charity. Two collectors will be “on duty” at any one “stint”. Each pair of charity collectors will be asked to undertake a 1½ hour “stint” before handing over to the next pair throughout the day. Times negotiable during supermarket opening hours.
It would also be helpful if the collectors knew a little about the charity in order to be able to talk knowledgably to donors/prospective donors.
Skills Required from the Applicant:
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- Stamina (being able to stand for one and a half hours holding a collecting tin/bucket)
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Information about the charity will be given to volunteers both verbally and within a charity leaflet at the time of volunteering
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, leading to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Interested? Apply below NOW!