Details of the Charity:
Riana Development Network (RDN) promotes Community Programmes aimed at building capacity for self-reliance through people centred approach, restoring hope and harnessing their future. RDN aims to reduce the level of poverty and social exclusion among children and women from ethnic minority and others from low income families. RDN aims to support disadvantaged people in the UK overcome poverty and inequality by supporting community integration through activities such as supplementary education, community allotment, health and wellbeing courses, global linking, youth mentoring programme, increasing the quality of education and raising awareness of the needs of BME communities.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
RDN is implementing a supplementary Education Programme funded by BBC Children in Need that will give additional support to children from local schools in Hounslow in Key Stage 2 & 3 of the National Curriculum in Maths, Literacy and ICT.
RDN promotes Youth and Community Programmes aimed at building capacity for self-reliance and enhancing potential of young people in the UK. RDN pursues its objectives through provision of information guidance and advice, training and support to young people within the communities.
We are therefore looking for students volunteers who could spare 1 hour or more on Saturday afternoon to support in English and Maths for those whom English is not their first language. We will provide transport of up to £10.
This will involve:
- planning, preparing and delivering lessons
- preparing teaching materials
- helping pupils improve their numeracy, listening, speaking, reading and writing skills via individual and group sessions
Skills Required from the Volunteer:
- DBS check required – can be provided by Brunel Volunteers free of charge
- Fluent in English
- Good interpersonal skills
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Free training by Association of Supplementary Education
- Role recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- Contributes to the Brunel Volunteers Award, leading to an invite to the Brunel Volunteers End of Year Dinner
Interested? Apply below!