Details of the Organisation:
The National Stalking Helpline was established by the Network for Surviving Stalking, Protection Against Stalking, and the Suzy Lamplugh trust. It is a national helpline specialising in providing information and guidance to anyone affected by harassment and stalking.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic and empathetic volunteers to respond to incoming calls on our helpline and reply to e-mails. Volunteers will have the opportunity to contribute their thoughts on how we can best expand our services and how we can reach more victims. Full training will be given so previous experience in these areas is not mandatory.
The Helpline’s opening hours are:
Monday – Friday 09:30 – 16:00 except Wednesdays when we are open 13:00 – 16:00.
What support/training will you receive?
Volunteers will receive training in providing support through a helpline, criminal and civil legislation relating to harassment and stalking, stalker typologies, personal safety and helpline policies and procedures. Volunteers will work alongside a Helpline Advisor every shift for support and debriefing purposes, and have one-to-ones with the Volunteer Coordinator every three months.
We are based in Central London and you will require a DBS.
Skills Required from the Applicant:
- Excellent listening skills
- Be able to commit to one day a week (or the equivalent) for at least a year.
- A commitment to equal opportunities policies and practices
- Be able to attend the Helpline training dates
- Familiarity with databases is desirable
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Comprehensive training in issues surrounding stalking and harassment.
- Making a difference by playing an active role in supporting people affected by stalking and harassment.
- An opportunity to learn and develop valuable transferable skills.
- Gain experience in the charity sector.
- Expenses will be reimbursed in line with Helpline policy
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, leading to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Dinner
Interested? Apply below: