Details of the Charity:
Built on the success of volunteering at London 2012, Team London is a Mayoral initiative to promote volunteering across the capital and to encourage Londoners to ‘go local and do something great for their city’.
The Team London Young Ambassadors programme is the Mayor’s volunteering initiative for schools which inspires and enables young people to take action and give back to their local community through youth-led social action projects. The programme is currently working with over 1,000 schools across London.
The programme is delivered free of charge to all primary and secondary state schools in London through motivational assemblies, practical workshops and youth summits. All schools also receive follow-up support through local Borough Ambassador volunteers and dedicated office staff at our delivery partner, Free The Children.
Borough Ambassadors play a vital role in supporting Team London’s schools, helping students bring to life their social action ideas. Our Borough Ambassadors join local schools, community organisations, and individuals together by helping to turn the students’ volunteering ideas into real, functioning projects. They inspire the next generation to engage with social issues, interact with their local communities, and try something new!
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Borough Ambassadors play a vital role in supporting Team London’s schools and ensuring the impact and sustainability of the Team London Young Ambassadors
By supporting students, the Borough Ambassadors shape and develop new Team London Young Ambassadors and inspire them to become volunteers for life. These young people go on to impact the local community dramatically, which is the result of a chain of events sparked by the Borough Ambassadors’ involvement with schools. The possibilities are endless, and this role allows the Borough Ambassadors to be creative in their approach to motivating young people to be socially active and developing their skills. This might include organising an inspirational speaker to visit their school, assisting students with planning a project, or cultivating a relationship between the students and local charities.
Borough Ambassadors are responsible for:
- Championing the Team London Young Ambassadors programme in schools, representing Team London when engaging with teachers and students
- Connecting local schools and voluntary organisations together through networking and publicity
- Working regularly with specific schools and providing consistent support to students and teachers, which will enable them to establish the programme
- Helping students and teachers implement their social action project, impacting the local community in a meaningful way
- Finding local volunteering opportunities that young people can become involved in.
The role is flexible around volunteer and schools’ availability but we ask all volunteer to commit to 2-4 hours per month.
All volunteers will receive training, an enhanced DBS check and support from our Volunteer Coordinator
Skills you Require from the Applicant:
- Passion for volunteering
- An enthusiasm to inspire young people to make volunteering a part of their lives
- The ability to develop rapport and work effectively with a diverse range of people
- Good communication skills
- Proactivity: a self-starter who will be able to plan and implement projects with young people
- Prior experience of working with young people would be desirable, though not essential
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
All volunteers are offered a range of free training to develop them in their role. Through their relationship with our delivery partner, Free The Children, volunteers also have the opportunity to volunteer at We Day UK, Free The Children’s stadium-sized youth empowerment event. Volunteers are also eligible to be nominated for Team London awards and are invited to attend our annual Celebration Event and local community receptions.
Interested? Apply Below