Details of the Charity:
OCD Action provides support and information to anybody affected by OCD and related disorders, raises awareness of the disorder amongst the public and frontline healthcare professionals and strives to ensure that appropriate services are available.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Aim of volunteering role:
To provide confidential and unbiased help, information and support to people with OCD, carers and anyone who is concerned that they, or their friends and relatives may have OCD or a related disorder.
1. To receive and respond to helpline calls and emails by:
- Listening to and taking details of the callers concerns & queries
- Providing relevant information
- Identifying those callers who meet the criteria for on-going support and outlining the service available; passing the callers details onto the Director
- Responding to voicemails left on the helpline and to emails sent
2. To work within the policies and procedures of OCD Action.
3. To compile and send out information packs as requested
4. To keep a record of all calls, voicemails, emails using the call recording forms
5. To participate in debriefing sessions and volunteer training days
One 3 hour shift a week for 6 months.
Place of work:
OCD Action office: Suite 506-507 Davina House, 137-149 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7ET.
Christian Bower – 020 7253 5272, firstname.lastname@example.org
Two references will be required. Ideally one of these should be a work related or’ professional’ reference i.e. former employer, tutor, social worker, healthcare professional. The other should be from someone who has known you for over 2 years, (excluding family members).
- Empathy and understanding
- An interest in finding out more about OCD and how it might affect each individual
- A non judgemental attitude Excellent communication & listening skills
- Good word processing/ IT skills
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- More than 30 hours of initial training
- On-going support
- Opportunity to develop your helpline skills and your understanding of the symptoms & treatment of OCD, its impact on the individual and their friends and family.
- Expenses paid
- Insurance cover
- All hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!