Details of the Charity:
‘oh! The palace of palaces! and yet a palace sans crown, sans coronet – but such expense! Such taste! Such profusion!’ Horace Walpole, 1773
In 1761, the founders of Child’s Bank commissioned Robert Adam to create an elegant neo-classical villa for them to use as a summer party house. Today, the House is set in over 350 acres of park and farmland and is one of Britain’s most complete examples of Adam’s work. We are dependent on the enthusiasm and varied skills of our volunteers to keep the magic of Osterley alive. With over 20 different volunteer roles on property we have an incredibly diverse and welcoming volunteer community that it is a pleasure to be a part of.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Buggy drivers are the Formula 1 stars of National Trust – just with a bit less speed! They help visitors who might struggle to get to and from the car park, as some of our historic places weren’t built to be pedestrian-friendly.
By getting involved, you could
- Enjoy being outside and feel the wind in your hair
- Use your communication skills to make people feel at home
- Join a varied and enthusiastic team, and make some new friends
- Help other people enjoy their visit to National Trust places as much as you do
- Making visitors feel welcome when they arrive at Osterley
- Knowing your way around the property, so that you can give directions and perhaps share a few of your own stories
- Taking care of the people that use your buggy, driving it well and helping them on and off
- Making sure that the buggy is safe to use, and plugging in electric models to re-charge at the end of the day
- You are important in making sure things run as smoothly and safely as possible – this includes getting to know health and safety and evacuation procedures
- There might occasionally be some other activities that are of interest to you, that we could use your help with.
Skills you Require from the Volunteer:
- The proud owner of a full clean driving licence
- Someone who likes being outside, even when it’s a bit chilly!
- Keen to make people feel welcome
- Practical – you’ll be taking care of the buggy as well as your passengers
- Available at least once a fortnight
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- We’ll help you get to know Osterley, how you can help and how you will work with the rest of the team – with induction and training
- We provide equipment to help you do this role well and safely
- We’ll also cover agreed costs of your travel between home and Osterley
- Line manager – Ben Griffiths
Interested? Apply Below!