Details of the Charity:
Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice provides practical and emotional support to children who are life-limited or life threatened, and their families, living in North London. We work within the boroughs of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.
Noah’s Ark supports families to ensure that they can face the future with hope by providing a variety of essential support services. These services include a Family Link Team who are trained Social Workers, Specialist Carers who provide respite, Play Specialists who provide therapeutic play sessions and also our Family Support Volunteer team.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Our charity shops are essential for raising funds which can be used to support Noah’s Ark families. Volunteers are vital in helping to sort donated goods, restock the shop floor and serve customers.
We are always interested to hear from volunteers who are able to commit to doing a minimum of 1 shift a week (4 hours) on a regular basis. We would also LOVE to hear from you if you are able to offer more than 1 shift a week. We have Barnet, Borehamwood and Finchley Road stores.
- Advising and helping customers to make them feel welcome – a smile goes a long way!
- Operating the till and dealing with various methods of payment
- Being aware of the security of the shop
- Keeping the shop clean, tidy and well stocked
- Promoting public understanding of the work of Noah’s Ark and the importance of raising funds
- Sorting donations into saleable stock and items for recycling (at the shop or at our warehouse)
- Preparing stock for sale by hanging, sizing, steaming and labelling each item
- Helping the manager price garments at their full value by considering the brand, quality and condition of each item
- Assisting the manager in welcoming and training new volunteers
We would ideally like a volunteer to commit to supporting us in this role for a minimum of 6 months, but this can be flexible.
Skills you Require from the Applicant:
- The ability to get on with people and work as a team
- Friendly, enthusiastic and able to give and receive feedback to and from the Shop Manager
- Basic numeracy
- Retail experience desirable, but not essential
- Willingness to participate in the relevant training and information update sessions
- A commitment to the role, good timekeeping and reliability – ensuring reasonable notice is given if unable to attend allocated shift, training or update session.
- Volunteers must attend an induction before they can get involved
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Develop customer service skills
- Working as part of a team
- Gain experience of the retail sector
Interested? Apply below: