Details of the Charity:
Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice provides practical and emotional support to children who are life-limited or life threatened, and their families, living in North London. We work within the boroughs of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.
Noah’s Ark supports families to ensure that they can face the future with hope by providing a variety of essential support services. These services include a Family Link Team who are trained Social Workers, Specialist Carers who provide respite, Play Specialists who provide therapeutic play sessions and also our Family Support Volunteer team.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Home Support volunteers aim to provide emotional, social and practical support to family members during the child’s life and during the period following the child’s death if appropriate. Becoming a Home Support volunteer is a serious commitment but it provides a rewarding opportunity to directly support children with life-limiting / life threatening conditions and their families.
Volunteers would usually commit to visiting a family once a week / fortnight; however, frequency and times will vary dependent on a family’s needs and a volunteer’s availability.
The needs of individual families will differ and much will depend on the personal skills, qualities, interests and availability of an individual volunteer. However, support will typically fall into one of three categories:
- An extra pair of hands, helping the children with reading, homework or playing games
- Helping a parent to manage outings during the school holidays
- Providing support on hospital visits or occasional shopping trips
- Providing companionship to a sibling by taking them to the cinema or park
- Providing a listening ear for a parent
Practical Support – For example, providing support with:
- Transport by driving a family member to the hospital or the shops
- Helping to pack boxes when moving home
It is hoped that volunteers can commit to supporting in the home for a minimum of 12 months.
Skills you Require from the Applicant:
Although experience of working with children or families is desirable, it is not essential and we welcome volunteers from all backgrounds with all sorts of skills. However, for this role volunteers will need:
- To be reliable and responsible
- A professional outlook
- An understanding of all Family Support training
- Good communication skills and enthusiasm
- Good listener and able to provide emotional support
- The ability to cope with stressful situations
- To be non-judgemental and committed to Noah’s Ark’s Equal Opportunities Policy
- DBS check required – provided free of charge by the University
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer
- Build knowledge of many different play activities
- Gain experience of working directly with family members
- Develop communication skills with children that have unique needs
- Travel expenses reimbursed
Interested? Apply below: