Details of the Charity:
The PLIAS Resettlement Mentoring Programme requires mentors to provide support to offenders and ex-offenders to integrate successfully back into society and community.
PLIAS stands for Prisoners Liaison Information and Advisory Services. It is an organisation that supports adults from the age of 18 onwards who hold a criminal record. Our main objective is to support their re-reintegration back into society.
The support services offered are available to residents of the London boroughs of Brent and Harrow and other boroughs in West London.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
The PLIAS Resettlement Mentoring Programme is recruiting volunteers from the community and business sector who are willing to use their practical business and community skills and experience to assist our clients.
These mentors will give their time, experience and knowledge to empower ex-offenders/service users to turn their lives around. Each mentor will be expected to mentor an ex-offender over a period of 6 to 12 months, having weekly contact with the mentee.
The next Induction Training will be in April 2018.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To meet with the ex- offenders on a weekly basis
- To design a service agreement with the mentee defining confidentiality, boundaries, and ground rules
- To work within the policies and procedures of PLIAS particularly those relating to Health and Safety, Confidentiality and Equal Opportunities.
- Set targets with the mentee and implement an agreed action plan and keep records of client contacts.
- Make the mentee the focus of the relationship by encouraging his/her personal development, help overcome problems, find strategies to cope with difficulties and help the mentee to take responsibility for achieving agreed goals
- Access the support of PLIAS advisers and other agencies where appropriate
Mentors not expected to be professional counsellors, advisors or experts on the criminal justice system. However,
- Have an open mind
- Must be over 18 years old
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Free training
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- All hours recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony
Interested? Apply now!