Details of Charity:
Dementia can happen to anyone and there’s currently no cure. There are 850,000 people with dementia in the UK and the number is set to rise to 1 million by 2021.
At Alzheimer’s Society, we believe passionately that life doesn’t end when dementia begins. We are here for anyone affected by dementia, and we do everything we can to keep people with dementia connected to their lives and the people who matter most.
Details of Volunteering Opportunity:
- Looking for volunteers to support people with dementia in Islington
- You will be joining a brand new Alzheimer’s Society service called Side by Side, which aims to help people with dementia to continue to do the things they love, with the support of a volunteer
- You could support a person with dementia to:
- go to their local park
- the cinema
- pick up an old hobby
- visit local museums
- try a new leisure activity
- We are looking for people who can volunteer during the day time Monday -Friday and are able to commit to two hours per week for a minimum of 6 months In order to promote stability for the person with dementia.
- No necessary prior knowledge of dementia
- Do need to be committed to learning more about dementia
- Have a drive to help someone with dementia to lead a better quality of life
*DBS needed – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Full training will be provided
- On-going supervision to support you in your volunteering role
- Hours recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute to your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony at the end of the year.
Interested? Apply now!