Details of Organisation:
Brunel Marrow is part of a network of student groups that work in partnership with Anthony Nolan to help save the lives of people with blood cancer.
We aim to:
- Give every student at Brunel University and other members of the community the opportunity to join the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Register
- Raise funds to help support Anthony Nolan’s vital work
- Raise awareness of Anthony Nolan and blood cancer within the Brunel community
Anthony Nolan work to match bone marrow donors with recipients in need of a transplant, as a result of suffering from Leukaemia and other blood cancers and immune conditions.
We work to expand the reach of Anthony Nolan as a charity. To do this we hold fundraising and recruitment events on and around campus throughout the year, with the aim to add as many new potential donors to the register as possible, where the funds we raise go towards the cost of doing so. We raise lifesaving awareness of the stem cell and bone marrow donation at Brunel.
Marrow is now the largest contributor of new potential donors to the Anthony Nolan Register, with 60% of potential donors having been signed up by Marrow.
Marrow increases the chance of becoming a donor from 1 in 900 to 1 in 100, due to our wonderful diverse student community.
Details of Volunteering Opportunity:
Marrow volunteers will be fully trained by Marrow in accordance with Anthony Nolan guideline to support the running of events; both for recruitment and fundraising.
Recruitment events are broken down into different areas, meaning our volunteers will get a range of experience and can change roles throughout an event to develop their skills and work with their individual strengths and preferences.
Our fundraising events are a lot less complicated and can range from treasure hunts to pub quizzes, cake sales to mud runs!
We hold events roughly on an monthly basis and we need our volunteers to help make these events successful.
As a relatively new Marrow group at Brunel, we need all the volunteers possible to help us get out there into the student community.
Skills Required from the Volunteer:
- Confident approaching people
- Willing to learn about the charity
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Role recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- Contributes to the Brunel Volunteers Award, leading to an invite to the Brunel Volunteers End of Year Dinner
- Recommendations from Anthony Nolan if needed
- Opportunities to attend volunteer socials and AGMs
- Saving people’s lives!
Interested? Apply below: