Details of Charity:
We are a charity made up of local volunteers. We are dedicated to providing 24 hour confidential emotional support to people whose life is in crisis. Our aim is that by listening to them and supporting them, we can help them once again cope with life’s challenges.
Hillingdon Samaritans first opened its doors in 1973. We are part of the national organisation but as a branch we are a separate independently constituted charity responsible for our own premises, running costs, local initiatives and promotion.
Besides contact by phone, people can also text, e-mail or drop in to our centre. We also take our message and support to a variety of local groups.
Our listening volunteers go through a rigorous selection and training process, first, to ensure that they have the necessary caring qualities and then to develop their capacity to listen and to respond non-judgmentally with empathy and warmth.
Details of Opportunity :
As a listening volunteer we have to do one duty per week of 3-4 hours plus and 8 night watches a year. The night watches are from 22.30-03.00 or 03.00-07.30. It is also a requirement to do 5 hours on-going training each year.
- When you initially apply you will be invited along to an information evening
- If you decide to proceed with your application, you will have an interview
- If accepted onto the scheme, you will have to attend a training session either in January or in September
Ideally, please only apply around the above training session months, otherwise your application will be on hold for a period of time. Please also only apply if you can commit to a 2 year period.
- Good listeners
- Empathetic and non-judgmental.
*DBS required provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
Additional benefits to the Volunteer:
- As a listening volunteer we go through a rigorous and professional training programme at Branch level plus a mentor scheme. This can lead to Regional courses if appropriate or required.
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.
Interested? Apply below: