Details of the Charity:
Neighbourly Care brings together older people from all backgrounds to share and celebrate their experiences, cultures and lives. We come from over 65 different countries of birth and have over 30 different first languages. Our centres are a focus for community cohesion and the breaking down of barriers between communities.
We operate 16 ‘hubs’ across the London Borough of Ealing, through which we run programmes of activities based around bringing people together, tackling isolation and promoting good health and wellbeing. We also run a Befriending Service – a home visiting scheme led by our team of volunteer befrienders – for older people who are particularly socially isolated.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Our befriending service is intended to reach socially isolated people in their own homes with the aim of improving their self-reported wellbeing. We do this by recruiting, training and supporting volunteers (who we refer to as befrienders).
Ideally, befrienders commit to a single 2 hours per week to visit their client, providing companionship and conversation. Befrienders may occasionally bring their client out of the house, but the scheme is not a handyperson, shopping or personal care service.
We are flexible and aware that other commitments such as exams will take preference. Even an hour or two a week would be great!
Skills you Require from the Applicant:
- Enthusiasm for helping people
- Willingness to listen
Additional Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Volunteers will be trained and will receive an induction
- On-going support from our full time Befriending Service Team
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, leading to an invitation to the End of Year Volunteers Ball
Interested? Apply below: